On 22/02/2013 16:54, Fred Baker (fred) wrote:

> BTW, a side-note on the issue of non-volatile memory. The OSPF autoconfig
> draft says that an allocated prefix MUST be stored in non-volatile memory and
> as a result survive a reboot. Speaking for myself, I don't see the need for
> that; I'm not opposed to someone doing it, but they now have to think about
> "what happens when" for various kinds of network changes. I think the
> principle might be one of "least surprise"; if a certain prefix is in use on
> a LAN and the DIS changes (perhaps the old one fails), the new DIS should use
> the same prefix as the old one, so that the hosts don't have to jump through
> hoops. That said, I don't see the argument around a whole-building power
> failure; unless there is a server being advertised in DNS, a
> randomly-selected new prefix will work just as well as the old one.

If Dynamic DNS Update is used, or some equivalent, even that issue would
go away. But I think that to the extent that IPv6 addresses will
ever appear on a user's screen, having stable values does have a small
benefit. Also see the issues raised in draft-ietf-6renum-static-problem,
some of which may apply in a homenet.

  Brian