On Feb 25, 2013, at 6:56 PM, Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org> wrote:

> In message <1d1732d1-ac03-450a-add2-611f2fb1c...@apple.com>, james woodyatt
> wri
> tes:
>> p3. All this pain can be traded away for the reasonably well-understood pain
>> of NAT66 and a single ULA prefix with a constant 16-bit subnet identifier spa
>> ce, where collisions will be rare and stateless prefix autoconfiguration will
>> settle quickly basically every time.  I personally don't think that's a good
>> trade, but if routed home networks are ever to become the normal setup, then
>> I'm very skeptical that my opinion will turn out to be the majority one.
>
> NAT66 assumes a /48 or else you don't have enough bits to fix the checksums.

You really need to re-read the document. https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6296

First, the term "NAT66" refers to stateful Network *Address* Translation, which
doesn't update checksums in the prefix at all - it is what we have done in
IPv4/IPv4 NAT but done in IPv6/IPv6 junction points, which means replacing the
address entirely. If you're talking about stateless prefix translation, which
can update the checksum in the prefix, it's Network Prefix Translation, NPT66.

The reason we changed the name was that we couldn't get people to distinguish
between those two notions; one blocks traffic while the other does not, and
there are other ramifications. We obviously still have not succeeded.

NPT66 is not limited to /48s. It can update the checksum in the EID if the
prefix is longer.

And then there's ILNP, which doesn't update the checksum in the translator
because it changed the end to end checksum algorithm (the definition of the
pseudo-header).