Dave,

> 1) in the multi-homing case you want requests from a local dns server
> to be sourced
>    from the right network to the right ISP-provided forwarder. (think
> I have a fix for
>    that but it involves abandoning resolv.conf for specific dnsmasq
> configuration.

I can't quite see how you can do that. given that typically the DNS lookup is
done prior
to the choice of source address (choice of outgoing link).

RFC6731 specifies a policy that can be distributed to hosts. (which would
typically go in a homenet protocol).
 it is unfortunate that in some VPN / walled garden scenarios there are split
DNS, if it wasn't this wouldn't have been a problem.

I'm unsure what the right answer is with regards to using recursive resolvers
outside of your own administrative domain.
DNS forwarders make an attractive target for surveillance.

cheers,
Ole