Teco,

>>> My opinion: put the prefix distribution protocol on top of NDP, so all
>>> nodes are informed.
>>
>> what are the arguments for involving hosts in the prefix assignment protocol?
>> as opposed the existing router to hosts protocols (ND/DHCP).
>>

> With multiple prefixes, hosts have to select.

yes. there isn't that much information the network has that it can tell hosts
though.
as long as the network routes the packets the right way, I'm going to be happy.

in more convoluted networks with walled gardens and VPNs, the network may pass
the host more policy information, e.g. DNS server selection, SAS/DAS policy and
so on.

> Hosts get smarter and know how to handle multiple paths (MPTCP and the like).
> It isn't enough just to provide a prefix with lifetime. If the router knows
> more, for example data rate and delay (fixed line, 3G/4G, whatever), it shall
> pass it to the host.

as the hosts gets smarter they'll be able to figure out the best end to end
path themselves.
the network may pass meta data associated with prefixes to the hosts. e.g.
"usage of this prefix is horribly expensive".

cheers,
Ole