From: Mark Baugher <m...@mbaugher.com>
Date:09/18/2014  5:12 PM  (GMT-06:00)
To: Randy Turner <rtur...@amalfisystems.com>
Cc: "homenet@ietf.org Group" <homenet@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [homenet] HNCP security?

On Sep 18, 2014, at 2:37 PM, Randy Turner <rtur...@amalfisystems.com> wrote:

> How do you bootstrap trust relationships without an initial certificate
> (whether installed at manufacturing or during a customer fulfillment stage) ?

One way is through a user "security ceremony" (viz. Walker and Ellison) in the
Wi-Fi and UPnP standards: The user pushes a recites a password, pushes buttons,
waves an NFC device, etc. to authorize, e.g. sign the router's self-signed cert
so other routers will accept its HNCP.  That's a root of trust model.  I'm sure
there are other such models.  There's been some talk about using web of trust,
but I don't understand how that would work.

Mark