On Sep 19, 2014, at 3:25 AM, Ted Lemon <mel...@fugue.com> wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2014, at 6:46 PM, Mark Baugher <m...@mbaugher.com> wrote:
>> The retail model works here.  I can imagine a compliant CPE might allow the
>> use to "take ownership" of an interior HNCP interface. That's only if the
>> provider of that CPE wanted to be compliant to a future HNCP security
>> standard.
>
> So to be clear, we are now talking about setting up a system where, with
> HNCP, routers can be anointed by the manufacturer in a registry that ordinary
> folks wouldn't have access to.

No, that's the exact opposite of what I think.  It's what I meant to write as
"...allow the use[r] to take ownership of the interior HNCP interface.

> To put it as mildly as possible, I do not support this suggestion: I want
> home routers to be under the control of the user, not the manufacturer.

How could it be otherwise?  If you have two service providers in a household,
how would one take authority over the other?  And what does the manufacturer
have to do with it?  There might be a device from a third or a other
provider/authority in the household.  For that reason, it is not realistic to
define layer 4 or layer 3 security bindings and then "punt" on authorization.
Unlike enterprise or public networks, there is no single authority with an IT
department to insert pre-shared keys in the devices or set up a CA.

My suggestion is to start with authorization, because there are potentially
multiple owners of the routers, and there needs to be some means for the
owner/user of the network to "Take Ownership," which is a term used by Walker
and Ellison in their home network security work.  This has all be designed and
implemented before.

Mark