On 03/10/2014 01:49, Michael Behringer (mbehring) wrote:
> My personal goal is that what we do in ANIMA is fully compatible with and
> ideally used in homenet. It would feel wrong to me to have an infrastructure
> that doesn't work in a homenet.
>
> The security bootstrap is a good example of what we can achieve, with
> reasonable effort. To me, address management is a *use case* for the ANIMA
> work. Actually, we ought to be able to map *any* distributed address
> management method on top of the autonomic infrastructure that we're trying to
> create in ANIMA.
>
> We should also look to use HNCP in ANIMA, for sure (and the charter allows
> that!). But according to my intro statement, what ANIMA does would have to
> work across all architectures. We need to look more closely at this, and see
> whether 1) HNCP works as is , or 2) we can create an HNCP++ that can scale to
> SP/Ent, or 3) we need a different approach in ANIMA. As long as we do proper
> due diligence we should be able to settle on the best of those 3 options.

Exactly. We have a model for the discovery/negotiation protocol which is
certainly different from HNCP right now, but it is *not* written in stone.
However, today HNCP has a defined scope and has some limitations, so
if we converge, it would have to lose the H ("home") and gain some other
properties. I don't believe we can commit to that in the charter but of
course we can commit to investigate it.

   Brian