Dave Taht wrote:
The homenet working group has been laboring for several years now to
find ways to make ipv6 more deployable to home (and presumably small
business) users.

In addition to multiple specification documents some code has been
produced to try and make things easier. At least in the USA, comcast
has rolled out IPv6 to everyone that can get dhcpv6 to sort of work on
their router, and/or is willing to install a custom firmware on their
router to get that, and of course tunneling ipv6 is possible if the
ISP does not support it.

So a quick poll:

0) Have you managed to get ipv6 working at all? If so, how? What sort
of problems did you encounter?
Been using IPv6 in production at home since around 2010.

Main problems have been:

The assumptions manufacturers have made about how the boxes will be plugged together and assuming they're the only router in the home. Hence Homenet. Several bugs in Apple airport and time capsule routers, blocking traffic incorrectly.
Lack of Protocol41 forwarding support in a lot of equipment.
Software updates killing 6to4 configured tunnel mode.
Cisco EPC3925 that refused to go into bridge mode (probably by design of the ISP). Lack of fibre into the building means I'm stuck with the local cable provider, although there's "net-neutral" fibre in neighbouring streets supporting multiple native IPv6 providers.

1) Have you attempted to deploy a routing protocol in your home? Which
one, and why?
Yes. Static routing. Nothing else was supported in common, and I wanted a mail server on the outside in a DMZ and a private network on the inside. It took a lot of tweaking to find a topology that worked simultaneously with IPv4 and supported what I wanted to do in IPv6.

2) Have you attempted to get hnetd's prefix distribution system
working? (it supports linux mainline and openwrt presently)
Yes, but not tested too much yet as I've been moving a data centre.
Just bought a stack of WDR4300's to test with. Also with the intention of looking at mesh networking.
So hopefully I'll get around to it $day_job permitting.
3) Do you use ethernet? How many clients in your home are ethernet connected?
Ethernet, powerline Ethernet, and wifi.

2 Raspberry Pi's
1 Linux server
2 iMacs
1 windows laptop
bunch of music sequencers and synths
1 printer
a couple of NAS boxes
a few wireless routers
guest devices
Apple TV
2 iPads
1 playstation

so probably ±10 hard wired. The rest wireless.
4) Do you use wifi? How many clients are wifi connected? Do you use
range extenders?
Yes I use wifi extensively.

I used range extension (Apple Airport Extreme) for a while, but ended up running a cable.

5) How many devices do you think you will have connected to the
network in your home in 5 years? How many now?
30?

Audio Visual Bridging (AVB) could throw a spanner in the works of having seamless connectivity throughout the home. Hopefully someone will figure out a way of transmitting music/audio streams in a sample-coordinated manner at L3.
6) Do you use any other network connected technologies (homeplug,
802.14, LTE, etc). If so, which ones, and why?
yes. Powerline IP to try to avoid running a cable. It wasn't too successful.

7) Do you use mdns service discovery?
Unfortunately yes, and I wonder how this will scale over L3.
UPnP too.
8) Why are you here? (especially, if your answers to 0-2, are "no")
Because if Homenet does solve the ISP multihoming problem, and possibly the wifi roaming problems at L3, it will also be used extensively in SME and SOHO set ups, and perhaps even in campus-size deployments.

--
Regards,
RayH