> On 31/08/2015 09:27, Gert Doering wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> I am not aware of any application doing anything more than "try to
>>> open the connection again".
>>>
>>> How do you propose the application to react? Most applications leave
>>> the source-IP selection to the operation system...
>>>
>>> does any OS currently change the preference order of IPv6 source
>>> prefixes when it gets ICMP unreachable messages?
>>
>> And that's a well-known issue that the IETF needs to finally tackle:
>> source-address failover.

So long as you don't invoke the prospect of either extremely expnesive
overlay networks, or globably route scalability go right ahead those are
both in play already.

Hosts in in absence of state as turns out are rather good at
instantaneous renumbering. e.g. as they roam  between networks it
remains a mystery to me that networks  containy hosts are less able to
cope. I may be in fact that that they are not less able to cope.

> We did - it's called shim6. The trouble is that we can't deploy it
> because of stupid firewalls blocking the necessary extension headers.

Give it a rest. we work with have we have, not might want other people
to deploy at great expense for our benfit.