Hiya,

On 24/01/18 15:36, Ted Lemon wrote:
> Yes, enrollment is the process by which trust is established. Google
> home has an example, but it's rickety. It's actually not too bad for
> actual Google devices, but the third party enrollment process could
> really benefit from some open standards (imho).

While I don't disagree with you, I do still wonder if we'd
not be better off using another term for cases where maybe
all that are involved are a couple of routers in the home,
and where there's no external party, such as google in the
example you give.

The reason I'm on about this is that if we use terms like
"trust" and "enrollment" without qualification, then we may
end up meaning quite different things, which might then
make it harder to try find some solutions to what are in
any case all hard problems.

Cheers,
S.

>> On Jan 24, 2018, at 10:03 AM, Stephen Farrell
>> <stephen.farr...@cs.tcd.ie> wrote:
>>

>> Hiya,
>>
>> On 24/01/18 14:55, Ted Lemon wrote:
>>> I don't know what unmanaged enrollment really looks like, but
>>> sure. We've mostly been talking about models for managed
>>> enrollment, and that seems to be the way the market has been
>>> going (with remarkable suck-itude, if the Google Home enrollment
>>> process is typical).
>>
>> A question for ya: I'm not sure if by "enrollment" you include such
>> things as two routers deciding to agree that some key material is
>> sufficient for subsequently protecting hncp or babel packets
>> between themselves? (I don't want to get into discussion now as to
>> how either might happen, I just wonder if we'd be better off using
>> different terms for these problems.)
>>
>>> I think it might be worth having someone give a presentation on
>>> the anima enrollment model, if someone is willing to do that.
>>
>> Sure. If someone wants to volunteer to do that, just ping Barbara
>> and I and we can throw that into pile for agenda construction.
>>
>> Cheers, S.

Maybe you are thinking about something else?