Hiya,

On 24/01/18 19:21, Michael Richardson wrote:

> Stephen Farrell <stephen.farr...@cs.tcd.ie> wrote:
>     > On 24/01/18 15:36, Ted Lemon wrote:
>     >> Yes, enrollment is the process by which trust is established. Google
>     >> home has an example, but it's rickety. It's actually not too bad for
>     >> actual Google devices, but the third party enrollment process could
>     >> really benefit from some open standards (imho).
>
>     > While I don't disagree with you, I do still wonder if we'd
>     > not be better off using another term for cases where maybe
>     > all that are involved are a couple of routers in the home,
>     > and where there's no external party, such as google in the
>     > example you give.
>
> If you are suggesting we should write a clear problem statement with
> new-fangled and terminology devoid of historical baggage, and then argue
> about that for 6-10 months... well...  we could start that now :-)

You are entirely correct that I'm not suggesting that:-)

> Two routers exchanging some keys on a TOFU basis might qualify as (mutual)
> enrollment, as the keys are stored someplace for the "second use".

Sure. OTOH, using the term enrollment I think might confuse
folks and perhaps the discussion as there's quite a bit of
(mostly PKI;-) baggage associated with that term, for me anyway.

Aside from terminology the main thing is the distinction between
situations that do, or do not, involve a party external to the
homenet, which makes a very big difference.

Cheers,
S.

--
PGP key change time for me.
New-ID 7B172BEA; old-ID 805F8DA2 expires Jan 24 2018.