On 15 Mar 2019, at 8:34, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:

Juliusz Chroboczek <j...@irif.fr> writes:

PIE [...] lends itself better for implementation in existing hardware,
or hardware with small modification.

Could one of you please explain why?

With the caveat that I have never worked with any of this hardware, this
is my understanding:

Basically, you can re-use the drop mechanism from RED and use the PIE
algorithm as a (better) way to control the setpoints. This makes it
possible to retrofit it in existing hardware. In fact I believe you can
implement PIE entirely in the (software) control plane on (a lot of)
gear that already knows how to do RED.

Another factor, which as I recall was perhaps the strongest of the original motivations for PIE, is that PIE does nearly all its work on enqueue, whereas CoDel does most of its work on dequeue. In many hardware interfaces, especially at a head end where there are lots of queues and a simple hardware FIFO feeding the link, it turns out to be difficult/expensive to insert the computations CoDel does on each dequeue operation.

-Toke