On Thu, 14 Mar 2019, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:

You're right that packet accelerators complicate things a bit. I'm not entirely convinced that the "doesn't lend itself to FQ-CoDel and the rest of the mechanisms the bufferbloat movement has gravitated towards" actually *has* to be true, but it's harder to do a proof of concept since the barrier to entry for hardware development is higher. So I doubt anything is likely to happen here unless someone with the resources to do hardware development steps up.

The people with hardware experience want to do PIE, because it lends itself better for implementation in existing hardware, or hardware with small modification.

Sometimes it's better to accept non-perfect more easily implementable solutions that solves most of the problem space, instead of aiming for the "perfect one" and getting nothing.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se