Juliusz Chroboczek <j...@irif.fr> wrote:
    >>> Stephen and Juliusz expressed that they're still not convinced that
    >>> DDNS isn't a good enough solution for the use case.

    >> Well, I'd be happy to discuss with this them again, but they'd have to
    >> actually tell us what "DDNS" really is for them.

    > https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/homenet/7JmkTCBSSMs5nnH3VWPj6JAL0cA/

Hi, thanks for that email, let me paste parts of it in.
I didn't find any clear definition of how DDNS works in that email.

    >> In particular, I'd like to know if it's okay with them if an arbitrary
device
    >> in their home automatically signs up with a DDNS provider, disclosing
their
    >> IPv6 address to the world.

    > No; unless the user has explicitly requested that a device be accessible
    > from the Global Internet, it has no business publishing its IP address.
    > I've tried to be very clear on that specific point in the mail linked
above.

jc> Oh, nothing that geeky.  I copy my vacation photographs onto my NAS. I
jc> click the "share over the Internet" button on the NAS's web
jc> interface. The NAS performs DynDNS registration,

So, explain to me that this part works: "the NAS performs DynDNS registration"?

First, are you talking about RFC3007? No, I don't think so.  What's the
Performance Specification that describes this process?  Yes, I know where
the vendor specific documentation is.

Second, how are the credentials for that communication established?
What name does your NAS pick?   How did you communicate the credential to the
NAS?
Once the 14 year old in the house does this, how does the parent find out
about the name that was used?

Was it IPv4, IPv6 (and from which ISP, as our homenet architecture says we
can have more than one ISP. That's why we did all that BABEL stuff, right?),
and did the device publish a SLAAC derived IP, a privacy IP, a stable IPv6?

If the device renumbers, or experiences a flash renumbering, how does it know
to re-register?

So, let me know the details here, as these are the kind of things the HNA
mediated zone is dealing with.

> Sure.  Just like you, I'm expecting dynamic updates.  But I don't expect
> dynamic updates to be dependent on my CPE, which is buggy (it was provided
> by the major competitor of your employer) and isn't available at the

All sorts of devices can be buggy.
I don't expect to be dependent upon a buggy NAS either.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )