At 10:54 PM 6/4/2003 -0500, Mat Menger wrote:
The only reason I mention shipping the horn and case separate is that I
have heard quite a few war stories about the flat-wood cases. If the case is
struck where the bell sits, apparently it can do some major damage to the
bell. It sounds like I will probably ship the horn in the case, but with a little
more padding in there too.

I don't know where you are shipping it, but Osmun has recommendations for packing and shipping instruments on his website.

www.osmun.com

Last time I shipped my instrument, I made sure it was in a new box
with a minimum of 4" of peanuts on all sides, plus all spaces inside the
case were filled with foam rubber or bubble wrap.  All extraneous items
were removed from the case or wrapped in bubblewrap and secured.
I've had very good luck going to shipping stores like Parcel Plus and
Mailboxes Etc (now the UPS Store?) and giving them the bucks to
pack it right (and take some responsibility.)

I did a Google searches on "shipping an instrument" and "shipping your
horn" and found the following sites with recommendations for packing.

http://www.hmtrad.com/instr/rep-ship.html (with a case so you can
file a better claim with the carrier should damage occur)

However, I also saw sites that *did* recommend shipping instruments
outside of cases.  One said this was good for small instruments (purtle.com),
one only works on the trumpet family (doctorvalve.com/), and one did
not mention our instruments, just trumpets/trombones/tubas.
(snhmusic.com/)

++++ I think we can all agree that our instruments are not small, and it
scares me to think of shipping it without any kind of case to protect the
bends and the bell.++++

When the repair folks get back from Bloomington (Osmun, BrassArts,
Lawson, Pope, etc.), I think all would agree the instrument should
be shipped in the case, but padding should be included both inside and
outside the case.

Margaret

Margaret Dikel
JCCSO Librarian / Horn