When I shipped my horn off to George McCracken last December for a few
modifications, his instructions to me were to ship it sans case.  I
nearly fell out of my chair at the thought of shipping it that way, but
he said that he's seen a lot more damage to horns shipped in the case
than those that have been adequately packed outside of their cases.
So, I picked up a large box (usually referred to as a dish barrel, for
packing dishes in for moving), lots of packing peanuts, and I packed
the horn in the box with an amount of cardboard packed between layers
of packing peanuts to form kind of an effective "box within a box" for
shipping.  The horn travelled safely in both directions with no damage
from shipping.  The case stayed home with me.  Hope this helps...

Jen Gesinski
Villa Park, IL

http://music.memphis.edu/mailman/options/horn/mistress_karen%40hotmail.com

http://music.memphis.edu/mailman/options/horn/uhorpheus%40netscape.net