> From: "Russ Smiley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 > I has my first encounter as third horn with Bolero tonight.   My, there
> are
> a lot of Ds!  The first horn and I thought we'd spell each other.  Are
> there
 > any standard places for each part to lay off?
 >
 > Russ Smiley
 > Marlborough, CT

Bolero is a tiresome piece to play, and also tiring!

A good trick is to do a deal with the 2nd or 4th horn as applicable, and
swap octaves every repetition of the tune when you get into the repeated D's
(tutti) sections. This is a good way to save the chops. (and also lets the
low horn players know how easy their jobs really are!!!).

Cheers,

Graeme Evans
(Principal Horn, Melbourne Symphony Orchestra)
+61 3 9318 0690(H), +61 419 880371(B), +61 3 93180893(Fax)
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]