Hi Hans,

Thank you for your greetings - albeit from 11,000 metres!

I don't know anything about the inner dynamics and politics in your section.
All I know is that when we do Bolero here we do it in the manner I have
described. After all, it is most often performed in popular concerts, which
can be busy for the horns, so, while it is quite possible for me to play the
piece as written, it just makes it a little easier to swap octaves with the
2nd horn.

There is never any problem with this, and when you imply that "asking
nicely' is somehow related to "ass-licking" (sic), then I think you have a
problem in communication with your low players. Maybe they sense a lack of
respect from you.

Maybe they don't respect you. Any good commander of troops will tell you
that you have to earn the respect of the men under you. It is a bit the same
with orchestral sections.

Perhaps you have a problem here - I don't know, but I am sorry that you
don't feel that you can expect the sort of co-operation from your team that
I have from mine here in Melbourne.

Cheers,

Graeme Evans
(Principal Horn, Melbourne Symphony Orchestra)
+61 3 9318 0690(H), +61 419 880371(B), +61 3 93180893(Fax)
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]