I started on a full double. For a while I didn't know all the Bb fingerings
on where I used the F side, or the F fingerings where I normally used the Bb
side.

A few years ago I decided to learn them all, and I can tell you it sure does
help. Yes it does sound differently on the Bb side but if you have some fast
arpeggios or runs through partials from a low F below middle C to around the C
in the treble staff and if they occur fast enough I always employ the Bb side
because it's cleaner. You'd be amazed at the difference the Bb side can make
in regions you don't normally use it.

Of course this isn't to say one should neglect the F side. In fact I only
employ the Bb side in regions I normally don't use it in times that it is more
advantageous.

I mean if one plays on a double (or triple) horn, one should know every bit
of the range and fingerings for both (or all three) horns. One should also be
familiar with each partial, where they are, and even alternate fingerings and
their pitch tendencies.

-William