In a message dated 11/01/2003 11:13:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<
 Cordially Yours, Scott Papal

 PS I wonder what all the professional horn
 players/teachers on this list started on? Of course,
 we all know professor Pizka started on the F and
 natural horns, but what of the others of you who play
 and teach professionally? As a matter of fact, what
 did you amateurs all start on, F or Bb?

I started on an F horn, but now find that I use the Bb horn for much more of
my playing.  Still, I'm glad I started on an F horn.  The F horn is the most
agreed upon tonality of the instrument.  That tonality has to be imprinted on
the brain from the very start.  Once the tonality is well established, the
double horn should be introduced, with the changeover being no lower than C.  This
is the range where the Bb horn arguably produces an equal, or better,
tonality than the F horn.  This Bb tonality must be integrated with the already
established F tonality to extend the upper range with a tonality based on the F
tonality, but better than the F tonality alone.  By this point, a student should
have developed his individual concept of tonality to strive for.  He will then
pick the mouthpiece and (type of) instrument he believes gives him the best
combination of playing security and tonality.

To be honest, I almost consider it irresponsible to start a student on a Bb
horn.  The player is going to live and die by the sound of his horn, not how
easy it is to play.  If he doesn't have it in him to strive for magnificent
tone, and learn how to trade off reasonable risk to attain it, start him on a Bb
trumpet.