'pah-chem' is correct. "a" and "e" are always a short vowels in Latin.

Carl Bangs

Jim Thompson wrote:
We're singing Haydn's 3rd Mass and since there are no horn parts I get to
sing. But a question has come up regarding the pronounciation of a word
often repeated in the piece.  If it's the same as Italian which in this case
I thought it was, the  Latin word 'pacem' is pronounced using English
phonetics  'pah-chame' --- but I'm hearing it's not from a Latin teacher in
the group...instead she says in Latin it's 'pah-chem'.  Which is right?
Thanks, Jim

set your options at http://music.memphis.edu/mailman/options/horn/bangs%40cet.com

.

_______________________________________________ post: [EMAIL PROTECTED] set your options at http://music.memphis.edu/mailman/options/horn/archive%40jab.org