Dear Colleagues,

While marching band is indeed an entertaining show, the process that takes place to
have such a show is most often an egregious violation of fundamental principles
employed in the training of young musicians, particularly at the high school level.
The use of extra shallow mouthpieces, rote instruction, not to mention improper
embouchures has become a cancer among too many institutions who put the half-time show
above prudent training.  Unfortunately, it is such a popular medium, particularly in a
blue collar community, that most music educators must comply or lose their jobs.  High
School administrators, either musically ignorant, overwhelmingly political at the cost
of sound education, or both are to blame.  I know of very few music programs where the
director is strong enough to hold his/her ground and work to cultivate a balanced wind
ensemble program.  Those who are strong manage in a very short time to train musicians
who can sit in the stands of an athletic event and sight-read decent "pep" music with
skill.  Eventually, the population grows to appreciate the sound and learn to live
with the compromise.

I have been a high school music director for 16 years, and a college horn teacher for
many of those.  I can't begin to tell you how many potentially good horn players have
been crippled by improper training due in most part to short cuts taken in order to
perform in marching band.

Yet, none of this surprises me given North American music culture.  What the general
public is literally forced to listen to on a daily basis has led to the dumbing down
of our society.  I had the experience of playing horn in a couple of European
orchestras, and I must say that, although the U.S. music culture has crept into
theirs, there was still a greater appreciation among the "common folk" for true art
music.  Unfortunately, I don't know the solution, other than in my own small way to
battle the problem within my own tiny fiefdom.  Keep fighting the good fight.