Hello Friends,

I have read this thread with much amusement more than anything else. Although I am
aware that for some individuals, both drill work and playing is important in their
life (albeit for sometimes differing reasons). Might I suggest that the concept of
drill related playing was adopted from the world of "professional" military bands.

I say this having chosen to start my horn career via the military route. It really is
a travesty to suggest that "nothing useful" at all, for horn playing, ever eventuates
from this approach.

Although precision drill was important within the context of a military band,
certainly "quality" in playing was also a prerequisite (try performing the 1812
Overture on the march with the same expectations on your performance as if you were
sitting).

In my own experience of having performed in this genre, I can honestly say that I have
developed a "good" ear for tuning, pitch, partials etc. I have also developed good
endurance as well as "acclimatisation" within the context of performing under
sometimes extremely demanding situations.

I agree with those of you who believe that these attributes could have been developed
via a more "orchestrally" focused route. However, may I remind everyone to keep an
open mind to the fact that there is more than one route to becoming adequately
equipped as a horn player.

Not everyone will become a star. Some will get good positions whilst others will be
happy with what they have achieved.

I started in my school band continued onto youth orchestra then started my music
career as a professional musician in an Australian military (Army) band. During this
time, I did some freelance work and began some serious networking.

I have been fortunate to get some extremely good gigs and perform in some world renown
venues and backing some "big" names in most genres of music as well as orchestral work.

So whilst the "value" of marching/drill horn playing is under scrutiny, please
remember there are those of us who have travelled this route to achieve satisfying
experiences and have gone on to developed as performers.

Regards to all,

Brian (alias Koala Bear)