Hello Benno, verzapf doch nicht diesen Unsinn, bitte. The main tuning
slides need to be pulled out, as the horn is designed to fit different
environment. Temperature has a certain influence to tuning. Orchestra
tradition is different in the world. USA orchestras have a lower "a"
than European orchestras. And these orchestras have even a lower "a"
than in Vienna.

But the horns should fit all three regions, which means main tuning
slides be pushed in much for Vienna, pulled out much for  the use in the
USA. But all within the limitations of one or 1 1/2 centimeters (main
tuning slide).

A pulled out slide CANNOT cut out some unevenness. In contrary it
produces some unevenness in the tube, - like a little step. Just imagine
a larger tube & a smaller tube inside. Think about the mechanical
function of two tubes, when one tube sticks inside the other & is pulled
out a bit.

Ooops, I know about the German schooling quality. Natural science
classes ......... Basic common knowledge .... please, please.  No wonder
people believe on superstition, reading in the palm, believing the stars
, etc.

And the few "Professionals" playing with all slides in, are using a very
strong VIBRATO, where intonation means nothing anyway, as the pitch
shifts around permanently. I know these players very well.

Once in my master class, a student came to me with his horn, all slides
pushed in completely. I asked him: why. He responded that his idols did
the same. So I told him, that he had just one single choice:  he should
continue following his idol but never expecting a job as a horn player -
and never wasting my time again