Hello! Horn Call editor Bill Scharnberg has performed a great service to all the learning young hornists by reprinting the Stephen Seiffert article "On Tuning The Double Horn." It is an excellent article and I have been advising its use by students for at least 30 years. Follow it and you should be pleased with the results. It will get the instruments into a reasonable pitch placement whereby you can then PLAY the horn in tune. No, it won't be perfectly in tune, but it will be tuned to a practical temperament that the player can control, use his/her ear and fit it nicely with an ensemble. (Note: tuners provide a tempered scale that is simply equally out of tune for every note. It is a guide only to a pitch center for A=440, for instance. Use your ears and learn to listen.)

CORdially,   Mansur's Answers