I'm new to the horn; without going into a lot of detail, let's just say I'm
not new to music.  Please forgive me if I talk about notes in concert pitch
some of the time - I've got perfect pitch and have never played a
transposing instrument before so it's just easier for me.

A question: why is the fingering for concert D above middle C (written as A
above middle C for horn in F if I've got this right) not given as open (no
valves) in the fingering chart in my beginners horn book for B-flat horn?
I'm learning pretty much on my own - my son takes lessons, we bought him a
new horn, and I'm playing the old one, which is a loaner from a school at
which his teacher works.  When I asked my son's teacher about how to choose
among multipler fingerings, he said the general rule was to blow through as
little tubing as possible, so an open fingering is preferable to one with
valves held down.  Why, then, is concert D not listed as open in the book?
The horn I have is a double and I get the B-flat horn with the thumb key.

Put another way, I can play the first five notes of a major scale in concert
F, starting a fifth below middle C, by alternating open and the first valve
- why, if I hold the thumb key down, wouldn't I use the same way to play the
first five notes of a concert B-flat scale?  The book shows 1 and 2, which
also works, of course.

Apologies in advance if there is an archive or somewhere else I should be
searching for this sort of thing instead of posting to the list.  BTW, my
book is my son's book, author is Anton Horner, fingering chart is right at
the beginning.

-S-
Steve Freides
Ridgewood, NJ