From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 10:21 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] TIRED AND STIFF LIPS

In a message dated 11/11/04 8:25:36 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I find that a good warm-up that starts slowly with long tones and
moving
low to high helps.  I like the Farkas warm-ups, but generally stick with
the
slurred exercises and work from the high register down, not low to high
as
he recommends.  I finish with scales working low to high.  This takes me
about 20 minutes. >>

I think a lot of people confuse warm-up and practice. The goal of the
warm-up
should be to get your body to the point where it can play at maximum for
that
day. Set routines are great because they give you the tools to gauge
where
you are physically. Listen to your body understand which of the pieces
of your
warm-up affect which parts of your playing adjust as you go to get to
the
maximum for the day.  Realize amateurs and professionals don't always
have the time
to play for 20 or 30 minutes to get to maximum playing for the day or
the
night, the rehearsal or concert. Don't confuse your daily long tone
practice,
scale or arpeggio practice with your effort to wake up your lips and
body for the
days work on the instrument
.

Debbie Schmidt