both groups have certainly mined the transcription bit for all its worth, I
agree.  And no, they don't do many original commissions, although the Canadians
have commisioned an "opera" [Hornsmoke], the Michael Kamen Quintet, and have
recorded the Malcolm Arnold Quintet.  They were perhaps more core repetoire
minded in their earliest days, when they had a recording that had several
original compositions on it, but some of their arrangements certainly have
involved nearly the same amount of work as composing something anew.  In
regards to the Empires, I know that they have commissioned some works, but I
honestly don't have that information in my head or near to hand.
To reverse the perspective, would we say a group was limited in their reptoire
if the played nothing but original brass quintet works and left out anything
that was arranged or transcribed?  I think we need to accept the fact that the
Canadians are who they are and the Empires are who they are, and the Boston
Brass is who they are, and so on.  And when I said the whole realm, I will
concede that may have sounded exaggerated and a bit broad, but I thought we all
gave each other a certain latitude about the use of common expressions and
figures of speech.
Paxmaha

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
The whole realm? How much original quintet literature
does either group perform? How many compositions (not
arrangements) have they commissioned?

Eric James

On Mon, 16 May 2005 14:38:08 -0700 (PDT), David Jewell
wrote:

> Actually the Empire Brass postdated the Canadians by
> almost ten years. However, both groups have become
the