Jonathan,

I will give you a example how to deal with the past. It
comes from China, where it was use in long distant history,
that ALL enemy troops were beheaded.

Butr there is an important example how to deal with the
political past. It is on display at LINTONG. Does it ring ?
No, surely. The Lintong accident during the Chinese-Japanese
War, when Red Army troups captivated the whole general-staff
of Chiangkaishek & himself at this beautiful Tang Period
thermae.

There are some large pictures on display showing Mao Tse
Tung, ChiangKaiShek, Chue-en-Lai, etc. standing in one line.
The inscription reads: " ChiangKaiShek, a big leader of the
Chinese People, who later went his own way". That´s how to
deal with the past, not eradicate physically. This display
has be seen by myself in place not now, after things have
become quite liberal in China, but some 20 years ago & later
on several visits.

And further: we have to abandon our elitarian claim, that
the Christian religion is the only one leading to the hail
!!!! Other religions claim the same, but Buddhism is just a
peaceful philosophy of life & every single individual has to
find his or her path in life. The so called religion is just
of help, if necessary & wished by the individual.

Read elder etnological dictionaries or encyclopedias and
wonder about the prejudice of OUR (white) ancestors. You
would be terribly ashamed about their view. And this very
particular (colonialist) spirit is still existant & wide
spread.

Has anybody ever heard about the daily murders in the
Southern provinces of Thailand ? Where teachers, monks,
officials, housewives, children are slaughtered in the name
of Islam ? They talk about islamist, but the murderers are
the former drug contrabandists, robbers of any kind, which
are disturbed in their particular "business" by the presence
of a large police & military force. Or do they just
eliminate witnesses ?

Sorry, things go off our horn topic due to the actual
tragedies happen.