I have to agree with Hans and Paul about the human voice being perhaps our
grail as horn players.  Lately I have been relistening to a recording of some
sonatas by Pavel Vejvanofsky, a bohemian baroque composer, who seemingly wrote
quite a bit for clarino trumpet and trombone.  Although the recording is from
the 70's and the instruments are modern, they, IMHO, do capture the spirit and
expression that the composer meant.  The trombone [alto] playing is very
beautiful and is very consistent from the lowest registers to the upper
reaches.  I firmly advocate that all horn players should be singers in some
capacity, especially choral, and that they should listen to - gasp - opera some
too.
paxmaha

Paul Mansur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hans has it right, folks. The double horn is a fine instrument but all
too often i find students who lock in on a switch point and then miss
great opportunities to utilize all the resources found in the double
horn. The secret of it all is to develop that F horn sound; and then
learn to duplicate it on the Bb horn so that you can switch back and
forth with impunity knowing that you have a unified sound!

The best compliment I ever received, from an accomplished musician I
admired, was: "Your playing reminds me of Joan Sutherland." I asked
what he meant and he said: "Your tone is smooth and flows unchanged
from the high register to the low as does Ms. Sutherland's voice."

CORdially, Paul Mansur