Okay, here's a question for you scholars out there, especially those of you who
know a lot about Chinese history during the last century.

I'm currently attempting to find some sources which address the introduction of
brass instruments, especially horn, into China.  Unfortunately, I've come up
empty-handed so far.  There just doesn't seem to be any research out there, at
least not in English.  I sent an email to Doug Hill last night, figuring he'd
be able to point me in the right direction, but I know that many of you on the
list have experience/knowledge as well.

In case anyone is interested, this all came about as a result of a discussion I
had with my instructor for a class on contemporary Chinese music.  I used to
have a Bruce Lee film on VHS that began with a scene in which a small ensemble
is playing during a funeral ritual ceremony.  As I remember, there was a Tuba,
trombone, and maybe even a horn in the group.  When I mentioned this to my
instructor, who is originally from China, she said she had never heard of brass
instruments being used in ritual music.  I'd like to do a research paper on the
introduction of brass instruments into China, and hopefully focus on their use
in ritual ensembles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,