They had several forms of horns in China & still have
several of them in use with certain minority groups in
Yuennan province (SW China). Dr.Doug Hill will probably not
be able to answer your questions. He has been in China, yes,
but how far has he been ? I was in China about thirtytimes
to teach on many universities since 1984: Xian, Kunming,
Chengdu, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Nanjing (I will be there again
next month), Wuhan, Beijing, Shenyang, Tienjian, Changchun,
several places twice or threetimes.

Two years ago, I have seen the "over-the-mountain-horn", a
streight horn with a hornsize bell, played in larger groups
(I have filmed that & played on them also) plus two larger
pieces in the group, but not like the Tibetan temple horns,
which still exist today & which are also played in China.
There is also a half-moon-like horn, used by another
minority. This horn is made from a large water-buffalo-horn
& used for solemn ceremonies while the forementioned horns
of brass are used for celebrations & welcome greetings. When
we were welcomed at Xiuxong (the site of the Yuennan
dinosaur) by a 24+ group of players, we were really
overwhelmed. The larger horns a collapsibles.

They use a different sized horn, consisting of a
multi-coiled brass tube inside a brass pot, mouthpiece & a
little bell protruding on opposite sides, not unlike the
Buchswinder-horn of Ellwangen in Swabia province of Bavaria
from the 17th/18th century. This horn comes in different
sizes & is also blown in Xiuxong.  The temple horns of
Tibetan style are played in the "Shangri-la County" near
Zhongdian on the upper part of Jangtse river not far from
Tibetan border at an altitude of over 4000 meters.

I found the Chinese Horn, as described in old books on
musical instruments. It looks like a super cigar of nearly
two meters or more length. The only exemplar I have seen was
in the Gugong museum in Shenyang, the imperial palace
museum.

Yes, they Chinese got known our Western style musical
instruments during the late 18th century by Russian
emigrants & settlers in Harbin. They used to have an
orchestra there & a theatre. As Czar Peter the Great
imported many artists (incl. musicians) from Western Europe,
the origin of the musicians gon to China then is unknown.
Westerners settling thee might have used brass instruments
for a last farewell ceremony or last salut, who knows, but
it was not the Chinese way of making music.

Pictures of the above mentioned instruments will be on my
site soon, also two short video clips. But be patient, as I
am overfilld with musical duties at the moment (the RING
twice & Flying Dutchman & all the rehearsals but other
ballet & operas too), so it might still be a while, even all
is prepared.

Greetings from Munich

Hans

PS: I will also inquire at the Shanghai Conservatory
(masterclass March 29th) & Nanjing Arts Institute (April
2nd), but I will be there just on vacations.