In a message dated 8/27/06 12:17:00 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> However, if I found
> myself close to an audition and did not know a piece well in the original
> key, and knowing that auditions produce enough nerves without the added
> burden, I would play from the part in F.

At many professional auditions you are required to use   the music put on the
stand in the hall. Sometimes that can be of benefit when you see a slightly
different phrase marking than you normally play. In the case of this excerpt,
the original H horn would be on the stand to make certain you can play it as
originally written.

I know the original question was about transposition for this solo but there
are several excerpts from the Symphony that are regularly asked including the
opening, the restatement of theme after the repeat, the first horn solo
starting around 440 (close to the end of the first movement) or so and the H
horn
solo in question.

Two additional points; yes like some other excerpts (opening to the Brahms
second conc.) in the literature, the way you play it will be a roll of the dice
in terms of phrasing. I would say for the opening solo commit to either a 2
bar or 3 bar phrase and play it such that what you intend comes across and
makes
perfect sense to the listener.

Secondly, the H horn section in question is marked as solo   but in actuality
the first 2 bars are a solo than you are playing with the bassoon and the
rest of the winds, adjust accordingly.

Debbie Schmidt
Tisch center for the Arts