From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 7:46 PM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Re: Synesthesia

Hello-

For more info about "synaesthesia" look at the Wikipedia article at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

I know that this can vary greatly in severity.  The wonderful Russian
painter Wassily Kandinsky (1866-1944) also had this. This quite obvious from
his very brilliant colors.  Apparently he painted some of his masterpieces
when listening to Gershwin.  I remember reading that he experienced music as
an ocean of colors in his mind.

I know a few students in my ear-training class who can tell (quite
reliably) what key something is in by its "color." I don't mean color as in
sound timbre, I mean actual visual color. F major is blue, A major is
Yellow, like that.

Certain psychedelic drugs can induce this affect - though I will not comment
on whether I know of this from first hand experience... - and it can be
quite vivid.

Happy Practicing Everyone,

Dave Meichle
Lawrence University

FREE Reminder Service - NEW from AmericanGreetings.com
Click HERE and never forget a Birthday or Anniversary again!
http://track.juno.com/s/lc?s=197335&u=http://www.americangreetings.com/produ
cts/online_calendar.pd?c=uol5752