Actually, my post was not entirely accurate.  I had just returned from
a sabbatical when I got asked to play the gig by our personnel manager
because everyone else in town turned it down.  I was told that I was
playing second.  I got to the gig and found out I was on first because
the other player wanted to play second.  I had no option other than
the "big horn."  Because of the way things work in this town, I had to
accept the gig (if I wanted to continue working on the horn in this
town), and I knew to practice both parts.

I think the other piece on the program was Mozart 21 or 22.  I think
it was in c alto, but I'm not sure... it was a while back and I threw
away the program.

On the subject of descant or high horns....if you can't play the piece
on the "big horn", you have no business pulling out a descant or high
f horn.  (especially if you don't own one.)  The instrument should be
used for color, a change of timbre, and style, and not to "get the
high notes out".  I think there are specific periods of music that are
appropriate for high horns and natural horns, and these instruments
sound their very best when they are used in pairs.  I don't see what
the big deal is about using the big horn on Mozart.