Hello Reba, you still did not answer what kind of an
orchestra you were or are in (classification, no name),
because they can (could) move you all over the section. Even
in that case - special if many or most first horns in the
world are getting a bit nervous for that kind of stuff
(no.29 & other Mozart & Haydn things), why did you accept
this gig ? Just for your masochism ? Or as you WANTED to
play it ? Small sub list does not count at all. If the
conductor puts this kind of music on the program, he or she
should think first, if it were possible. If possible (not
because of the horns), they should think first again. How
did they fill the missing first position (due sabbatical
leave) for the other programs ? If they cannot find a
replacement nearby, they have to fly-in another player.
Would cost something, right, but could be taken from the
irresponsible stupid conductors salary.

Why did I choose to play it on the Viennese horn ? When I
was until 23, I played everything on the single F Viennese
Horn, but adapted the sound to the task. Even high "e" was a
NO-PROBLEM for me then. Listen to the high notes produced by
Thomas Joebstl ! This is sound horn playing and most
tasteful also.

Playing the Viennese Horn & playing all on it is not a
matter choice. It is a matter of growing & growing & growing
again. It takes a lot of time to "conquest" these horns &
more time to "control" them. But with today´s extreme loud
playing (I do not say uncultivated even it would be the
right term in 75% of all cases) the Vienna Horn does not
serve at its best. The Viennese Horn is the horn of the
beautiful sound and it definitely does not show its best
qualities playing high Mozart, Haydn or Bach or Haendel
pieces. For this kind of music, we have better tools today,
- and they are cheaper than a Viennese Horn.

By the way, I have two brand new Viennese Horns, one with
titanium valves & the other with brass valves, for sale. If
somebody is interested, let me know.