In a message dated 1/20/2008 8:23:19 PM Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

What am  I to do about this?  Which is right, which is wrong, and what,  if
anything, should I do, assuming I wish to continue to use this  same
mouthpiece on both horns.

Hi Steve,

How far the MPC goes into the receiver is not as
important as where the end of the MPC is relative
to the venturi.  The location of the venturi can be
located using small hole gauges or by having your
local repair person finding it for you.  I'd mark the
location on the leadpipe with a small file.  Most of
my horns have this mark because a "standard"
shank goes in various receivers from 1/4" on a
Berg to over 3/4" on a Kruspe.  I don't get concerned
unless the end of the shank is more than 1/8" from
the venturi.

BTW, there may be more info in the email archives
on this topic.

Regarding lipping ... I play 2nd horn most of the time
and I find that I am constantly changing pitch to match
the 1st horn or other instruments.  Pitch varies depending
on others idea of 440 and where you fit in a chord.  It keeps
the lip and the right hand busy.  My poor endurance is, I'm
sure, age related.    ....... my 2 cents worth.

Regards,       Jerry in Kansas  City