From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Steve Freides
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 3:21 AM
To: 'The Horn List'
Subject: [Hornlist] Mouthpiece Insertion Depth - Different
on my 2 horns

Horn #1 = Alexander Bb single, vintage ~1975.

Horn #2 = Yamaha 666, vintage ~1982.

Mouthpiece = Pizka.

I measured how far the mpc goes into the lead pipe on each
because I noticed it goes in less far on the Yamaha.

Alex = 24 mm insertion depth

Yamaha = 19 mm insertion depth

What am I to do about this?  Which is right, which is wrong,
and what, if anything, should I do, assuming I wish to
continue to use this same mouthpiece on both horns.

As I've mentioned in the past, I'm an amateur horn player
with a long background as a professional musician and with
perfect pitch.  I will lip anything out of tune back into
tune and I rarely notice when I do this.  So far as I can
tell, the difference in insertion depth isn't a problem, but
I thought I should ask because I'm hoping, as time goes on,
I might actually learn to play without lipping things and
then I might have a problem.  I suspect that my poor
endurance as a horn player is related to the fact that I am
forever lipping out of tune notes.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

-S-

de