Tim Kecherson wrote:
> As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a 1970 Conn 8D.  Instead of having
> corks, it has rubber/plastic cylinders where the corks go.  However, these
> click when I finger the notes, and the valves are not aligned because of
> them.  Since I am under 21, I cannot very well go out to the local liquor
> store and buy a bottle of wine or champagne for the cork.  Where would I be
> able to get a cork for my horn?  The local music shop does not carry them.
> Thank you very much!

Hardware stores and bait shops come to mind.  Some kitchen departments
sell corks, as well, not to mention hobby shops.  Know any adults who
might save you a wine cork?  Got any restaurants nearby that serve wine?

It's not the fact that your horn has neoprene bumpers that's got it
misaligned, however.  It's that they're not properly trimmed.  Do the
valves go past alignment, or not quite as far as alignment?  If the
latter, you should be able to shave a little off the bumpers with a
razor blade (single-edge type is safest) or a utility knife.  If the
valves are going past alignment, then you need to replace them, and
*then* will probably need to trim them appropriately.

I also suspect that the clicking isn't because of the bumpers, either,
but more likely because of worn bearings or a loose stop arm screw.
It's just that they happen to click at the exact time the stop arm hits
the bumpers, which naturally enough gives the impressing that it's
hitting those that causes the clicks.

That 8D is almost certainly a nice enough instrument that it would be
worth a little TLC from a competent technician.