I resolved part of the mystery of Vaclav Wenzel Wenceslas Pichl yesterday after a long search in cyberspace. I'll detail my journey, as there may be useful information here.

The liner notes in my Kocian Quartet CD say that the name on the Pichl quartet manuscript is not written clearly; that it could be the work of a German-born composer named Lickl, of which there were several.

Then I surfed the internet for both, and I eventually stumbled on http://www.worldcat.org/ , which allows anyone to simultaneously search many libraries around the world - amazing. While there, I found a wind quartet by Johann Georg Lickl, named "Cassazione". That is the name of the 1st movement on my Kocian CD. To make sure that this is the Pichl quartet, I visited Amazon.com, searched for Lickl and came up with a CD that contains what looked like the same thing. Amazon allows you to listen to sound samples - that confirmed it.

Short story, the Wenzel Pichl wind quartet was composed by Johann Georg Lickl. Back to worldcat.org - this site will list all of the libraries that have the piece in their catalog. In this case, there are many.

But a possible complicating factor is that there might be further confusion - between the Lickl-Pichl Cassazione, and one by Mozart for the same 4 winds. Mozart's name appears through the worldcat.org library hits, and in one case at least, appears the word "forgery". So it ain't over yet. I don't remember the Mozart Cassazione. Amazon seems to be down just now(!) so I can't get a sound sample of the Mozart to compare with Lickl-Pichl.

On a side note, I stumbled on another interesting website with lots of links: http://www.music.ucsb.edu/projects/csms/ , the Czech and Slovak Music Society.

David Goldberg