From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of David Goldberg
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2008 7:14 PM
To: The Horn List
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Pichl & Fuchs

I resolved part of the mystery of Vaclav Wenzel Wenceslas
Pichl yesterday after a long search in cyberspace.  I'll
detail my journey, as there may be useful information here.

The liner notes in my Kocian Quartet CD say that the name on
the Pichl quartet manuscript is not written clearly; that it
could be the work of a German-born composer named Lickl, of
which there were several.

Then I surfed the internet for both, and I eventually
stumbled on http://www.worldcat.org/ , which allows anyone
to simultaneously search many libraries around the world -
amazing.  While there, I found a wind quartet by Johann
Georg Lickl, named "Cassazione".  That is the name of the
1st movement on my Kocian CD.  To make sure that this is the
Pichl quartet, I visited Amazon.com, searched for Lickl and
came up with a CD that contains what looked like the same
thing.  Amazon allows you to listen to sound samples - that
confirmed it.

Short story, the Wenzel Pichl wind quartet was composed by
Johann Georg Lickl.  Back to worldcat.org - this site will
list all of the libraries that have the piece in their
catalog.  In this case, there are many.

But a possible complicating factor is that there might be
further confusion - between the Lickl-Pichl Cassazione, and
one by Mozart for the same 4 winds.  Mozart's name appears
through the worldcat.org library hits, and in one case at
least, appears the word "forgery".  So it ain't over yet.  I
don't remember the Mozart Cassazione.  Amazon seems to be
down just now(!) so I can't get a sound sample of the Mozart
to compare with Lickl-Pichl.

On a side note, I stumbled on another interesting website
with lots of
links: http://www.music.ucsb.edu/projects/csms/ , the Czech
and Slovak Music Society.

David Goldberg