+1 Pierre

      De : Rod Bera <r...@goarem.org>
 À : hot@openstreetmap.org
 Envoyé le : Mardi 17 février 2015 5h16
 Objet : Re: [HOT] Fwd: huts.

 Hi John and everyone,

 These huts definitely are for living.

 Again (see my e-email below), the bigger ones are permanent shelters i.e.
homes.
 The smaller ones are strorage (granaries), containing food for a whole family
(or more) for a whole year (in the best of cases, just after harvesting) or
less (depending on time in year and amounts of previous harvest. One or two
successive bad harvests most likely means famine).

 These huts (or squared equivalents) are the only possible housing when people
live

   - with less than $2.15 a day (as is the case for 516 millions in Sub-Saharan
Africa alone, 1.934 billions globally) and
   - in rural areas (which in Sub-Saharan Africa make 77% of those below the
$2.15 poverty line).
 Figures are from UN-Habitat2003. Obviously they have increased since then.
When I am talking of $2.15, this is obviously not pocket money. It's generally
speaking the economic equivalent of the food they produce and eat, etc.

 77% (this figure is higher than elsewhere in the world, where the majority of
poverty has moved to urban slums) makes about 397millions of "rural poors" in
this part of the world alone.

 Now, very rough rule-of-thumb: 6 per house (families aren't that big: infant
mortality rate alone in Guinea narrows 10% without ebola) + 1 granary for 3
houses (things can be very different from place to place) :. 100 million
houses. Amongst them, expect a fair amount of huts.

 So as Pierre advises for all these:
 building=yes and shift+O to draw circles. And happy shift-O-ing! But before,
we need highways=tracks (and other roads), and landuse=residential.

 More generally, we have already debated the issue of remote mapping, and
difficulty, sometimes, of getting the proper local context.

 Our community is growing and most certainly including people in these areas
who have more accurate knowledge of terrain, who know life "as it is" there.
 We should rely more on them, and I welcome them to take some time explaining
things that seem obvious to them, but are not to many westerners who take for
granted all the wealth, goods, infrastructures... they benefit from.

 Sometimes however, language is an issue and it would be nice to see
native/fluent english speakers make the others more self-confident, or risk
themselves into other languages.

 It's a good thing we can share all this in this list. It is not a matter of
"knowing" or "not knowing", nor is it of "just mapping", rather an opportunity
to better know each other's cultures and realities. So I welcome more of these
exchanges as they can serve improved mutual understanding. In-so-doing HOT and
OSM can offer  us all far more than just maps (or data) : a better
understanding of the world and people living on this planet, for a start...

 Best,

 Rod