Hi,

On this, I agree with the majority, that we don't need to change the current guideline into a hard rule, and it seems like it could exacerbate the problem of filling the queue. More importantly, I think it would do little to attract more shows by more contributors.

I've thought a lot of things about this. Also have been thinking about what Ken said a while ago, which got me thinking about what it means to be a member of a community project.

I think the process of submitting a show is not very involved but it does feel quite formal, which can induce the contributor to feel like they're producing a major work, which can cause delays. On the other hand, it's important for a contributor's first contribution experience to be a positive one. I think there's probably a wide range of experiences of becoming an HPR host, so there's a wide range of things people need to help them through that step. For me, I remember as I stood over that small pot of porridge, wooden spoon in one hand, phone in the other, I was really smitten with HPR and was very driven to send a show, but it still took a couple of months. We can only imagine how many recorded but unposted HPR shows are out there, you could perhaps get another 13 years out of them. Anyway, in the porridge show, I mentioned some of the shows that captivated me, and ultimately got me to want in, and they were by a variety of hosts that don't submit shows all the time. I think if HPR should be a show with a small group of rotating hosts, that would be OK, but it would become much more similar to other shows that I don't listen to. For me, the key thing with HPR is that you don't know who or what is coming.

Anyway, I think in part we need to understand that HPR's goals are quite lofty, actually, and of course perhaps it will fold at some point, and it's had quite a long run. Also, not all is lost when HPR does fold, because the archive will live on. With those things in mind, I think it is worth continuing to aim for an HPR that contains multitudes, many hosts that only contribute sporadically. We need to accept the risks that come with that, and agree that they're worth it, and the day HPR folds.

So, as for ideas for how to increase listener conversion and also help fill the queue in another way:

 * Rewards for submitting a show: could we actually offer to send
   people an HPR sticker if they submit a show? Could that be worth
   doing or at all feasible? Or could there be some kind of digital
   thing we could send people? Maybe we could create a bundle of
   Creative Commons stuff, like a collection of texts about free
   culture? The HPR Contributor Handbook, where we could say what we
   would want to say to all new contributors, if we had them trapped in
   a room for hours. Or it could be kind of like a catalog. Perhaps
   this is something I could apply my developing LaTeX skillz to,
   automatically building a 1 million page PDF from the show summaries etc.
 * Creating more seamless platforms for people to submit shows. I could
   try to implement that idea of creating an HPR recording booth in a
   matrix channel, using matrix-commander. It could be the HPR
   Confessional :p
 * Having a regular live session on Mumble. If we can get people to
   show up and talk for 24 hours on new year's eve, could it be
   possible to do it for 30 minutes a week? We could form a team that
   rotates staffing that recording session, and the focus would have to
   be on whoever turns up. That is, if someone comes to the recording,
   we start asking them about them, as if tricking them into their "How
   I got into tech" show. The hosts would also do their best to avoid
   inane chatter. :D
 * Consider making a show submission API, if there are members of the
   community who would be interested in building a show-submission app
   that aligns with the goal of getting contributors. I think this has
   been talked about before, in the context of the Linux In-Laws asking
   for it. I think it could be something that eases development of
   integrations, because if people want to develop an integration, they
   can do so more independently. Unfortunately I would have nothing to
   contribute on this front.
 * Re-runs: once a week, select a noteworthy episode from the archive,
   and repost it. There's a huge archive many of us don't know, and I
   have had a great time listening to some old shows some of the more
   venerable among us have mentioned in passing. We could form a small
   team to select shown for reposting, with people who are interested
   in randomly listening to old shows to pick one for the week's
   re-run. This could be called "throwback thursday". I would be happy
   to be part of this team.

Thanks for reading,

—dnt