Hi Yuv,

Yuval Levy wrote:
> Hi all, and HAPPY NEW YEAR.
>
> HUGIN/PANOTOOLS AT GSOC2009

I would do mentoring for one project again.

> COMMUNITY FUNDING
>
> One of the thing I intended to do back from the holidays was to make a
> new Windows installer snapshot available with the new features from
> GSoC2008 (fast preview, PTbatcher, Celeste) and the new projections that
> have been added lately.
>
> How would you feel about it if it would be available for a 10$ charge,
> with most of that money going to fund development?

I agree with Bruno, having a download fee would be fine with me.
Interested developers should of course still have the option of easily
starting hacking on hugin. The hugin sdk should be still freely available.

Having only a download charge would maybe a bit strange, as somebody who
  would have paid for a download would want to download a new version
without paying, too. Maybe sending everybody who had paid a special
download link that stays active after each pay would be a practical
solution, that wouldn't require adding trial periods or disabling
features until payment is done.

However, I fear that the outcome might be that most people will stick
with the free 0.7 version just to avoid paying anything.

This brings me to another point: Currently, all donations go straight to
my paypal account. I didn't spend much time on hugin in the last months,
and it is likely that in the future I can't spend the same amount of
time on hugin as I did from 2003 to mid 2008.
For the future, it might be better to have some independent account
where we can collect the donation money and then use it for tasks such
as full time student developers (Hmm, it'll be interesting to see how
this should be organized...), meetings for core developers (LGM etc.)
Currently the donations do not really have a big economic impact and I
have mainly used that to recover money spend on visits to panotools
meetings and LGM, so I was happy to keep it this way. But if we start
thinking about thousands of dollars or euros, this needs to be changed,
I think.

Other projects have an voluntary association for these purposes, for
example kde: http://ev.kde.org/. But this brings additional work,
especially since hugin is very small compared to most other projects
that have an own association. I don't know how "slim" such an
organisation can be.

ciao
   Pablo