Hi Tom,

Tom Sharpless wrote:

> Did your calibration image set cover 360 degrees?

No, this was a a-b-c calibration only.  I left the FOV fixed

> It seems to me that if you use multiple images for calibration, then
> the correct focal length or fov becomes a critical parameter (which is
> not the case for single-image straight line calibration).  And it is
> known that the PT optimizer will almost always choose a wrong value
> for that unless you force it to be right by insisting on closure of a
> full circular image set.

Hmm, good point.  I didn't check if a (small) change in the FOV results in
different a-b-c, but it seems somewhat reasonable.

> But the straight line control point optimization (as currently
> implemented) requires that the output projection be rectilinear.  So
> naively I would suppose that only a part of your straight line data
> would be usable, unless the rectilinear error is computed separately
> for each image, ignoring the rotation that aligns it on the
> panosphere?

Yes.  I kept all images at yaw/pitch/roll=0 and thus had a maze of lines
within the FOV and requested each of the lines to be straight in the output...

> Some time ago I looked into the possibility of making libpano optimize
> straight lines on the panosphere (where they become great circles)
> instead of  in a rectilinear projection.

Yes, I remember.

> My hope was to better support calibration of fish eye lenses, which is a
> continuing problem.  My code gave worse results than the existing method, so
> I gave it up.

I guess the reason is that in your method it strongly depends on the correct
location of the image (y,p,r), isn't it?  So it would be a good thing for
panoramas in general, but meybe less for calibration only?

> However I still think Hugin needs an easy and reliable way to do
> straight line lens calibration.  I believe that after many years of
> using various calibration systems, photogrammetrists finally decided
> the straight line method was best.  And they often use naturally
> occurring straight lines rather than special calibration rigs.  The
> key is software that can follow lines and estimate their positions to
> subpixel accuracy.  The raw image of a calibration line will in
> general be curved, so a human has to designate which lines are
> straight in reality -- but not set dozens of control points on them.

Hmm, indeed.  an automatic line finding algorithm might be a handy thing.
Sounds like calling for Hough transforms or alike.  But for fisheye images
that really must be an awkward job...

Cheers,

  Pit

--