On Sun 16-Aug-2009 at 06:27 -0700, John wrote:

>For example, I always thought that if one had a 6 megapixel camera
>(CCD or CMOS) of 3000 by 2000 pixels, that would be the "resolution"
>of the image.

Just to add to what others said: a six megapixel camera has 6
million sensors, but 3 million are 'green', 1.5 million are 'red'
and 1.5 million are 'blue'.

The RGB image you get out of the RAW converter has 6 million red, 6
million green and 6 million blue pixels i.e. the RAW converter just
makes up 2/3rds of the data and hopes you don't notice.

--
Bruno