On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 17:03, Dale Beams<drbe...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'd be think it's more liable that Hugin or Image-Exif Tool is not properly
> interpreting the orientation.  Something's wrong

This can happen if the EXIF is not recognized. In practice I think it
works. If Hugin complains that the images don't have EXIF data, then
that is the problem.

the EXIF part is working fine.

> Which brings me back to "pattern matching".  In life we know an elephant is
> an elephant weather it be pink, white blue or grey.  It's a pattern we
> recognize.
>
> Looking at a set of photos we can visually match up what goes where not
> based on control points but based on patterns.  These patterns are made up
> of colors, shapes, and area.  Is there "matching" software in the community
> that could be integrated into hugin that would look at these options.  Then
> if there were real control point errors of outrageous amounts, the program
> would know it was wrong.

There are alternatives to autopano-sift-c, though none is foolproof
(you could try MatchPoint for example). There are also lots of options
for APSC: you can refine the control points, use RANSAC, etc. Then
there are methods to take out the wrong control points, for example in
the sky (Celeste, already included in Hugin). ptoclean
(http://search.cpan.org/~bpostle/Panotools-Script-0.22/bin/ptoclean)
does what you want as well.

In the case of your images, I just did a new autopano-sift-c. The
three wrong control points were found, but by looking at the list of
control points sorted by size, and deleting them, it was fine.

Deleting the control points with the largest error is not always the
best approach. The technique ptoclean uses is much more subtle.

> I'm using autopano-sift-c.  Assuming that the display is only cosmetic, why
> is the right side of the pano flipped upside down and the left side the
> correct orientation?  I assume it's because of the one image.  The problem
> is, while this pano is a fairly simple error problem, other panos will get
> images flipped every which direction.  Is the automatic point control really
> this bad (ie, autopano-sift-c)?

The right side is flipped because one image pair in the middle is way
wrong. This inverts one of the images, and the others just follow. The
other images have no way of knowing that they are upside down, since
they are only connected to the image that gets flipped.

Cheers,

Seb