I does seem really a lot of work to try to get all the stuff to work
properly on windows.
I appreciate it is ( or used ) to be difficult to get any useful
information from microsoft but is there any way  the process could be
simplified. I don't understand coding at all except for reading the
odd config file but is there not a list of substitutes so the building
works on windows. I'm loath to dive in because it seems at present
somebody spends hours changing one or two lines getting something to
work then it gets changed and they have to start again ?

regards

mick