Thanks for the replies!  It would be nice to be able to do everything on the
command line, including finding control points.  But for now, I'm choosing
control points by hand and writing out a PTStitcher file, replacing the
filenames to stitch each exposure.  For example, to create 5 panos for 5
exposures:

nona -r ldr -m TIFF_m -o exp1 PTStitcher1.txt
enblend -w -f8000x4000 -o exp1.tif exp10000.tif exp10001.tif exp10002.tif
nona -r ldr -m TIFF_m -o exp5 PTStitcher5.txt
enblend -w -f8000x4000 -o exp5.tif exp50000.tif exp50001.tif exp50002.tif

This works.  Then I create another PTStitcher to merge the 5 panos into hdr:

nona -r hdr -m EXR_m -o PTStitcher6.txt
hugin_hdrmerge -m avg -c -o pano.exr pano_0000.exr pano_0001.exr
pano_0002.exr pano_0003.exr pano_0004.exr

This doesn't work.  I'm not sure what's wrong yet but the pano.exr doesn't
seem to be hdr.  It looks like a very bright and washed out ldr.  Will
investigate more tomorrow.

Can all (or any) of the above be done with pfstools?  How does that compare
with hugin?