> The difficult bit will be to write a tool that does something useful
> with this information.

Yes, that's the crucial point I'm afraid. Just having Hugin submit
data is not much use before it is not decided what shall be done with
that information. However, the more I think about it, the more a CDDB-
like online database could actually work. There will be a *quite* few
wrinkles to be ironed out, but we'll see. At the moment I am thinking
of writing a small GUI that hopefully can act as a testbed in the not-
to-far future. Since I am doing this in my sparetime, it will however
take some time until it does something "really useful".

Until then, I'll have to think about the generic lens model. I am not
convinced that generic spline parameters are the way to go, and it is
not guaranteed that one can actually just 'average' them and hope to
achieve something meaningful. The beauty of the original model by Tom
is that it just uses two parameters (u,v) to describe more or less all
fisheye cases and the rectilinear one in a generic and exact way, thus
providing something conceptually close to a lens model 'Hilbert
space' (but unfortunately non-linear).

>From a physical point of view, fitting those two model parameters and
on top of it a (hopefully small) PTLens correction sounds much more
sound to me. If the model fit is good enough, a PTLens polynomial
should be quite 'well-behaved', making fitting stable. However, both
model and PTLens correction are by definiton non-linear (making simple
averaging of data impossible). Let me think about it, maybe I'll have
an inspiration.

Regards,
Robert